contact@extremehorizon.com

  +44 (0)7913 251691

  PO Box 25, Louth, LN11 0UE

Extremehorizon Surfing Blog

Extremehorizon surf blog providing: regular surfing news, updates, stories, surf pictures, product reviews, surfer interviews and anything from the world of actions sports which is begging to be blogged!

Monday 3 May 2010

Kelly Slater gifts Bells Beach trophy to Aboriginal Co-op




Nine time world champion, four time Rip Curl Pro champion and right now world number one surfer on the ASP 2010 season ratings, Kelly Slater showed his immense appreciation for Australian Indigenous Culture by gifting his winning 2010 Rip Curl Pro ‘BELL’ trophy to the Wathaurong Aboriginal Co-operative.

Slater who has twice before been the recipient of a traditional aboriginal welcome to the winner’s podium by the Je-Be-Weng Aboriginal Dancers when receiving his trophy explained that when he arrived at Bells this year he had decided that if he won he would give his trophy to the Wathaurong community in recognition of their previous support of him and as an acknowledgement of the traditional owners of the land.

He went on to say half way through the final and well behind in scores he suddenly remembered his personal pledge and he thought he may not get the opportunity, one he really wanted and that just after this thought the wave that ultimately won him the event came his way!

"I'm really excited because I remembered that before this contest I promised myself that if I won, I would give to trophy to the Wathaurong (local aboriginal tribe) people," Slater said. "I didn't remember that until I was out in the water and right when I did, those waves came. So before I give it to them, I want to pass the trophy around for everyone to give a ring because that's never been done before."

No comments:

Extreme Horizon Online Surf Shop  -   PO Box 25, Louth, LN11 0UE  -   +44 (0)7913 251691
Copyright © Extreme Horizon Ltd.  All rights reserved.   Online Shop Terms & Conditions | Site Map